Dr. Margaret-Anne Storey is a Professor of Computer Science and the Director of the Software Engineering program at the University of Victoria. She holds a Canada Research Chair in Human and Social Aspects of Software Engineering and currently holds the Lise Meitner Guest Professorship at Lund University in Sweden.
Dr Storey’s research goal is to understand how technology can help people explore, understand, and share complex information and knowledge. She evaluates and applies techniques from knowledge engineering, social software, and visual interface design to applications such as collaborative software development, program comprehension, biomedical ontology development, and learning in Web-based environments. Dr. Storey regularly collaborates with high tech companies to ensure real-world applicability to her solutions.
Awards and Activities
- Canada Research Chair, Tier I, Social Aspects of Software Engineering (2015-2022)
- Canada Research Chair, Tier II, Software and Knowledge Visualization, renewed as Human Computer Interaction for Software Engineering (2005-2015)
- Elected a member of the Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists in 2014
- Principal Investigator for the US National Center for Biomedical Ontologies (2005-2015)
- Member of the Health Informatics and Modeling Topic Advisory Group (HIM-TAG) for the World Health Organization (2011-2012)
- NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement award (2010-2012)
- Craigdarroch Silver Medal for Excellence in Research, University of Victoria (2010)
- IBM CAS Faculty of the Year (2005)
- IBM Eclipse innovation awards (2003, 2004, 2005)
- Advanced System Institute Fellowship (1998-2003)